Ruby Morton Kngwarrey
- Skin Name:Kngwarrey/ Ngwarai / Ngwarrey
- Region:Utopia, Central Australia
- Dreaming:Awelye , womens ceremonies, Alpeyt , wild flowers, Rainbow , Boorlada, Sweet Honey Grevillea , Ilyarn, Ilyarnayt, Tharrkarr, Honey Ant , Yerramp
Ruby Morton Kngwarrey was born in 1968 north east of Alice Springs at Utopia in central Australia.
Ruby Morton was part of the original group of Aboriginal women to be taught batik. Her work is included in the ‘Robert Holmes a Court’ collection.
Ruby has established herself as a painter in the same tradition as her mother, Mary Morton, her sisters and aunties. Her Dreamtime stories belong to her countries Ngkwarlerlanem and Arnkawenyerr.
Ruby has painted designs that represent all of her Dreamtime stories. The stories that are featured in this painting include Rainbow (boor-la-da), Ilyarn and Ilyarnayt, Tharrkarr (sweet honey grevillea), Yerramp (Honey ant) and also a variety of Alpeyt (flowers).
- © Artist image taken by Arts Photographer and Gallerist Sabine Haider, Central Art 2010
- Aboriginal Artists of the Western Desert - A Biographical Dictionary by Vivien Johnson, published by Craftsman House 1994,
- The Oxford Companion to Aboriginal Art and Culture edited by Sylvia Kleinert and Margo Neale published by OUP 2000,
- Australian Aboriginal Artist Encyclopaedia - dictionary of biographies' Kreczmanski, Janusz B & Birnberg, Margo (eds.): Aboriginal Artists: Dictionary of Biographies: Central Desert, Western Desert & Kimberley Region (JB Publishing Australia, Marleston, 2004).
- Brody, A. 1989 Utopia women's Paintings: the First Works on Canvas, A summer Project, 1988-89 exhib. Cat. Heytesbury Holdings, Perth Brody, A. 1990 Utopia, a picture Story, 88 Silk Batiks from the Robert Homes a Court Gallery and gallery Collection, Heytesbury Holdings LTD Perth NATSIVAD database; Latz, P. 1995, Bushfires & Bushtucker, IAD Press, Alice Springs.
- National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
- National Museum of Australia
- Queensland Art Gallery, Brisbane
- Homes a Court Collection, Perth
- Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth
- Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide
- Art Bank, Sydney
- Mbantua Museum, Alice Springs,Central Australia
- 1989 Utopia Women's Paintings, the First Works on Canvas, A Summer Project,
- 1988-89, S.H. Ervin Gallery, Sydney
- 1990 Utopia- A Picture Story, an exhibition of 88 works on Silk from the Holmes á Court Collection by Utopia artists which toured Eire And Scotland
- 1990 Balance 1990: views, visions, influences QAG, Brisbane
- 1991 Flash Pictures, National Gallery of Australia
- 1998 Dreamings, Spazio Pitti Arte, Florence
- 1998 Dreamings, Vlaams- Europeesch Conferentiecentrum, Brussels, Bulgium
- 1998 Art Centre Meerzigt, Zoetermeer, The Netherlands
- 1998 Art Gallery €˜Culture Store', Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- 1999 Mbantua Gallery, Alice Springs N.T. Australia.
- 2004-2006 Evolution of Utopia, Mbantua Gallery Cultural Museum, Alice Springs